Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Harry Wong was right!

When I was working on my teaching certification... No, before that. Back when I started subbing for my district they recommended Harry Wong's The First Days of School. Wong says that how you set the tone on the first few days of school affects the rest of the year. Do it right and your job will be a joy and your students will be happier. Do it wrong and well... he offers a few tips on how to recover, but the bottom line is to do it right!

Last year I began my teaching job four weeks into the school year at an alternative high school that was without a science teacher. Even now, when I mention my campus to someone elsewhere in the district, the response is something like "Oh yeah you walked into a 'situation' over there!" I had a group of students before I had anything to give them in the way of schoolwork... Not to mention it was right before TAKS retesting and I teach ten different classes. (Students work to earn the credits they need to graduate, and coursework is self-paced).

I didn't have the first days of school to set any kind of tone. Just a messy, disorganized classroom with piles of random junk, papers, and deteriorated lab equpment from the past 5-8 years.

This year (muahhhahahaha) I had the first day of school and fresh new faces to work with! Our campus set in place some new structures and new rules and as a school, we started this year off with a bang! Students from last year are trying to stay stuck in their ways, but the new kids are working hard and turning in better work at a faster pace than last years kids!

It's pretty awesome. We laid down the law and aren't budging! Our staff was cut, our enrollment was increased, and our work days are longer. But so far, kids are learning.

I just hope it stays this way! It has only been three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment