Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Experiences on Breastfeeding in Public

We've all heard some version of a story about a mother who tries to feed her hungry baby in a restaurant and is asked to either leave or feed the child in the public restroom (yuck!). As the proud new mother of an adorable baby girl, I have had stories like these on my mind lately. I've also read stories about the plight of women trying to pump while travelling, or transport breast milk while away from her baby and running into issues with TSA... All these reported experiences are enough to put a new mother almost in a state of fear when leaving the house with her newborn, because it's enough stress trying to get used to breastfeeding in the first place without having to worry about what someone might say to you for doing it.

Understandably, when first venturing out with my newborn I was a bit wary of the reactions I might get. Well, here is the list of negative experiences I have had so far, as an exclusively breast feeding mother of an eight week old baby.

Exactly none.

Yep.

No dirty looks and no negative comments.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen by any means, I am merely saying that I have had nothing but positive experiences. People rarely even pay attention! My daughter, in the words of my husband, is a "traffic stopper". She elicits adoring glances from people every time we take her places. But when it's time to feed her, most people have been polite enough to not give me a second glance, or just to continue talking as if nothing is going on. I really think many people don't even notice! A couple weeks ago at the Texas State Fair, when a GMC rep that was talking to my husband (and casting adoring glaces toward my child) could see that I was about to have to feed her for the second time, she let me know of a place nearby I could sneak off to if I wanted privacy for a minute. I had the distinct impression she was genuinely being kind.

I've noticed that in general, people are more focused on themselves and what others might think of them than what they think of other people. I say "in general" because there are those who like to constantly criticize others. However, I have been fortunate not to have run into any of them recently (and noticed it anyway).

As I have become more comfortable feeding my daughter I have been less worried about being secretive. Of course, I'm not about to just whip out my boob in plain view to feed her, but I have come to realize that people aren't really paying attention to me. This takes away some of the stress that used to result when she got hungry in an inconvenient location.

So why am I bothering to write this?

It strikes me that hearing stories about how women are treated negatively for breastfeeding in public puts fear on new mothers about what they might encounter. I realized this, also at the fair that day, when I sat down near the Chevy test drive area to feed the baby while my husband and father in law drove some cars. Another lady was nursing her 10 week old and we started talking. She said that she hadn't breast fed her first two children, but wished she had. She had been worried and nervous about what people might say to her in public for breastfeeding her daughter as well but has also not encountered anything negative.

Hmmm...

As with many social issues today, when something negative occurs the news hits the Internet and everybody gets upset over it. BUT just because it happens occasionally that doesn't mean that every time you try to feed your baby in public you have to worry about what people might say or do. Trust me, I have my comebacks ready just in case. There will always be rude people, but I really think the American public is not so uptight about the matter as one might think from the news stories. Who knows, I haven't been a mother for long so maybe it's just a matter of time before I have my own bad experiences, but I'm not going to worry about it.

I am concerned that the negative stories we read on the Internet or see on the news are instilling a sense of fear in new Moms, and it's mostly unnecessary! Even if you have a bad experience, any apprehension leading up to it is probably not helpful.

So my point is this: Mothers, don't be ashamed of the beautiful and natural thing your body is doing. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks either, because as long as you aren't trying to be an exhibitionist about it, chances are most people won't even notice, and anyone who does either won't be offended or will be supportive. If anyone is rude, you are probably surrounded by more support than they are!

I will add one more thought to this discussion. I can see the other side only when it comes to breastfeeding in public without a cover. I realize that when the child is latched on you can't see anything, but for some people who aren't parents or haven't been around it that much, particularly men, I can see how they'd be distracted by the fact that it's obvious that someone is sucking on someone else's nipple. With a cover, it's easier just to think that something private is underneath it. This hasn't been an issue for me because I am blessed with a daughter who couldn't care less whether or not I use a cover, as long as she is getting fed! I've also discovered that nursing in a ring sling is quite comfortable for my little one, and also discreet. I've had people come over to adore her, not even realizing that she is eating. I honestly think that even without a cover many people won't really notice.

Whatever you breastfeeding Moms choose to do in public, do it with confidence!


No comments:

Post a Comment